Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Artist Twenty: Dale Chihuly

Why this Artist?
    There are actually quite a few reasons that Dale Chihuly is one of my artists.  The first reason is because my father's cousin actually works with Chihuly so my family is familiar with his work.  The second reason is because the artist was born in Tacoma Washington, which is where I lived for the entirety of my middle school years.  The third reason I have picked this artist is because currently my father lives in Indianapolis, Indiana where they have a huge and very popular children's museum that Chihuly actually created a giant glass sculpture for.  And the final reason I picked this artist is because ever since I went to a glass museum in the 6th grade (In Washington State) and saw artists actually blowing and manipulating glass it has always been something that I thought was incredibly cool and Chihuly is one of the masters of glass work.

Below are some of my favorite works but in all honestly I love them all and want my entire ceiling to be made of glass sculptures:



Float Boat by Dale Chihuly
Fiori Di Como by Dale Chihuly
Persian Chandelier by Dale Chihuly
Carnival Boat by Dale Chihuly
Who is this Artist?
    Dale Chihuly was born in Tacoma, Washington in 1941 and attended the University of Washington, University of Wisconsin and the Rhode Island School of Design (where he would later establish the glass program and teach.)  Chihuly has led the avant-garde in the development of glass as fine art, he has created more than a dozen well-know series of works and has work across the globe.  He has created works for many museums and places all over the world such as over canals and piazzas in a variety of countries. He has been in major exhibits in the de Young Museum in San Francisco, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and a long-term exhibitions called Chihuly Garden and Glass in the Seattle Center.  This artist work has been in over 200 museum collections worldwide and he has received many awards.

What does he do?
    This artist creates extremely intricate installations out of glass.  His lifelong fascination for glasshouses has grown into a series of exhibitions with botanical settings.  A lot of his works are modeled after or placed in nature which is interesting because they become part of the natural settings and seem as if they belonged there all along.  Chihuly creates large exhibitions from glass ceilings, glass towers, chandeliers, large sculptures in pools and fountains, aquariums and even forms entire gardens and worlds with his glass objects.  He also creates many small and very intricate glass forms and sculptures.  Each of his works have very unique and beautiful colors and the viewer can get lost for hours looking at all of these and their intricate forms.  It is hard to believe that a material so fragile can be molded into anything Chihuly wants it to be. 

Why he inspires me?
     I think the artist is so inspiring to me because he can really create anything out of his medium.  He has a vision and with enough work he is able to complete that vision.  I also love and am inspired by the fact that he is able to create works that fit so perfectly in to nature and that he uses things he knows and has seen, such as different species of flowers as inspiration for his works.  I believe some of the best inspiration comes from the things in our everyday lives and the beauty in the world around us and it is amazing to me that Chihuly is able to emphasis that with his glass works.

Want to see more? http://www.chihuly.com/home.aspx


V&A Chandelier by Dale Chihuly
Mille Fiori (Detail) by Dale Chihuly
Purple Frog Foot Installation by Dale Chihul

No comments:

Post a Comment