Thursday, May 8, 2014

Artist Five: Kevin Eslinger

Why This Artist?
     This artist was actually introduced to me by my boyfriend.  I have no idea where he discovered Kevin Eslinger but we both very quickly fell in love with the way he skewed pop culture icons and made them his own.  It seems fitting (after following him on facebook for so long) that I talk about him as one of my fifty artists. 

Here are some of my favorites by Eslinger, although only a few because I love so many of them:



After Pigs Fly by Kevin Eslinger
Mad Hatter by Kevin Eslinger
Fuzzball by Kevin Eslinger
The Frog Prince by Kevin Eslinger 
 Who is this Artist?
    Kevin Eslinger's gallery is located in Denver, Colorado.  He studied Illustration at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California. Eslinger has been in a variety of gallery openings and even attended different comic cons.

What does he do?

     Eslinger takes pop culture icons that he was exposed to as a child and tries to depict them in a way that is his own.  The artist uses many mediums like paint and ink to portray the way these iconic figures are viewed both with childlike wonder and adult disillusion to what the real motivations behind these characters are.  Because of this element of disillusion a lot of Eslingers' works have a little darkness mixed in with them which makes them unique and very intriguing. 

Why he inspires me?

     This artist inspires me because he isn't afraid to put his own spin on iconic and well know characters.  Like a few of the other artists I have already listed, I love pop culture references in art and I too want to put some of these iconic characters and elements into my own works.  Eslinger has a specific style and isn't afraid to place any icon into this style.  I only hope I can create a style of my own and do it as seamlessly as Eslinger. 

Eslinger has a series of works that are made using ink and I love them.  Some of them are below but to check out more of his awesome work visit: http://shop.kevineslinger.com/.



Leonardo by Kevin Eslinger
Superman by Kevin Eslinger


Boba Fett Kevin Eslinger
Harley Quinn by Kevin Eslinger













No comments:

Post a Comment