Saturday, May 24, 2014

Artist Sixteen: Alexa Meade

Why this Artist?
    I have been obsessed with Alexa Meade's work for quite a few years now.  I quickly fell in love with the way the artist completely skipped over canvas and went directly to painting on actual objects and people.  The way she was able to create 2-Dimensional looking works from 3-Dimensional subjects blew my mind.  I think it is only appropriate that she gets to be one of my fifty artists. 

Instead of doing my usual favorite works here I have decided to embed this video because I find it very intriguing!



Who is this Artist? 
   Alexa Meade didn't originally study art in college, however she always had an interest in different values of light and shadow.  After college she started creating paintings in a basement and after time started getting more and more confident and experimental in her work.  Her work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery and many other galleries in the world.  She has done a couple collaborations with Sheila Vand, a performance artist and was the artist for many of Gotye (the Musicians) music videos.  Alexa continues to create works and experiment with new styles of painting and hopefully we will see a lot more from her. 

What does she do?
    This artist paints directly on the surfaces of models and objects in a 3-Dimensional space to make it appear 2-Dimensional.  She plays with lightings and different brush strokes to flatten the world around her.  Meade has used a variety of different styles in order to do this, she has done more traditional painting styles as well as graffiti and line drawings.  The artist tries to bring out the real textures on people and objects by using different values of paint and uses many different mediums including milk, water and mirrors to create a variety of types of images.  

Why she inspires me?
    I think this artist inspires me so much because she isn't afraid to get messy and to experiment with new materials and subjects.  The artist isn't afraid to try something new even if she isn't sure that it will work.  This is something that I hope I am willing to do, experiment and try new things until I either make them successful or they lead me onto better techniques. Alexa Meade has created some beautiful works because she isn't afraid to experiment and I hope I can do the same. 

Here are some of my favorites, to see more you can visit: http://alexameade.com/artwork/


Egg on Egg by Alexa Meade
Spectacle by Alexa Meade
Activate by Alexa Meade
Risen by Alexa Meade

No comments:

Post a Comment