Saturday, May 24, 2014

Artist Eighteen: Lori Nix

Why this Artist?
    Lori Nix started off as an artist on a piece of paper with a hundred other names given to me by my photography teacher.  I was expected to pick one photographer and present on their work.  After deciding there was no way I could just pick one I closed my eyes and threw my finger on a name: Lorix Nix.  I didn't know it at the time but after a little bit of research I would come to realize just how amazing her work was.

Here are some of her photographs that I really enjoy:

Library by Lori Nix
Subway by Lori Nix
Bar by Lori Nix
Beauty Shop by Lori Nix
Who is this Artist?
     Lori Nix is a photographer and printer in Brooklyn, NY.  Born in Kansas in 1969, Nix graduated from Truman State University where she studied both photography and ceramics.  She then went to Ohio University to get her graduates in photography.  The artist has had seven large projects and has also been in a few books.  She has had many solo exhibitions and her works are in the collections of the Smithsonian American Art Museum and many other places across the country.  She received a Guggenheim Fellowship in 2014 in the US & Canada Competition for Creative Arts in photography and multiple artist grants.  Nix has done a lot of work over her career and continues today. 

What does she do?
    Nix creates intricate dioramas and then photographs them.  To create these dioramas Nix has to think about building materials, lighting, issues of scale and space especially because she does not use any digital manipulation. A lot of the time Nix will create the entire scene by hand, however every once in awhile she will base a piece around something that she finds, like a tiny piano.  A lot of this artist's works are based around an apocalyptical world and natural disasters, however she has other works as well.  Nix also has a love for the idea of nature taking back spaces that architecture and man have claimed.  Lori Nix uses an unlimited variety of materials to create miniature scenes and then photographs them to look like actual places.  The amount of detail and work she puts into each of her works is truly something to be admired. 

Why she inspires me? 
    The amazing amount of tiny details and incredible amounts of work that Nix puts into her pieces is something that inspires me.  The artist is intentional with every single thing from the tiniest cracks to the way the shadows fall on the scene.  I have said it in other artist's posts but something I love is detail and that is something I hope to ad into my artwork.  I want to be as intentional and thoughtful in my works. Nix is very inspiring because she is able to create her own fictional world and bring it to life and that is amazing to me. 

Some of her other works can be found here: http://www.lorinix.net/index.html

Anatomy Classroom by Lori Nix
Violin Repair Shop by Lori Nix
Museum of Art by Lori Nix

No comments:

Post a Comment