Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Artist Fourteen: Alphonse Mucha

Why this Artist?
    I picked Alphonse Mucha as one of my fifty artists because of his unique posters of women.  My Senior Seminar project is all about posters of females so looking at his work will help me with my own.  I really like that his posters all have a consistent style that is recognizable to those who have seen his work. 

Here are some of my favorite posters by Mucha: 


Primrose by Alphonse Mucha
The Seasons: Spring by Alphonse Mucha
Byzantine Heads: Blonde by Alphonse Mucha
Who is this Artist?
    Alphonse Mucha lived from 1860 to 1939 and was born in the present day Czech Republic. He was a Czech Art Noveau painter and decorative artist and part of the Art Nouveau movement.  He not only produced paintings but illustrations, advertisements, postcards and other designs as well.  Mucha had formal artistic training at the Munich Academy of Fine Arts, Académie Julian and Académie Colarossi.  Mucha's works can be found in many museum galleries and there is even a Mucha Foundation. 

What does he do?
      Mucha creates paintings and illustrations in his own distinct style.  Most of his works featured beautiful women in flowing, Neoclassical-looking robes that were surrounded by flowers that sometimes created halo like shapes around their heads.  Mucha used a lot of toned down colors which was different than a lot of other posters during his time.  This artist created a lot of unique works and made a name for himself and his style of art. 

Why he inspires me?
    I have already kind of talked about this before, however, the reason that Mucha is so inspiring to me is because he created these amazing posters of females and this is what I am planning to do for my senior thesis. Looking at his works has allowed me to gain new ideas about how to create a series of posters that all have a similar style.  Mucha's work is an inspiration to me and has allowed me to further understand my senior thesis. 

To see more of Mucha's works you can visit: http://www.muchafoundation.org/gallery

Rêverie by Alphonse Mucha
The Precious Stones: Emerald by Alphonse Mucha
The Flowers: Lily by Alphonse Mucha




No comments:

Post a Comment