Saturday, May 24, 2014

Artist Fifteen: Holly Andres

Why this Artist?
    I found Holly Andres a couple years ago while I was in my photography class.  I was looking for an interesting female photographer to talk about.  I didn't end up choosing Andres, however ever since then I have enjoyed the style of her photographs.

Here are some of her photographs that I particularly liked:


Amber as La Grande Odalisque during Cancer Treatment by Holly Andres
The Missing Bird by Holly Andres
Nolan's Bedtime Story I by Holly Andres
Who is this Artist?
    Holly Andres had an educational background in painting and drawing and it wasn't until after graduate school that she discovered that photography was the best way she could convey her concepts. Andres has had solo exhibitions all over the United States and in Istanbul and Turkey.  Her work has been featured in many magazines and other publications some including The New York Times, Time and Blink  and Art Ltd (which profiled her as 1 of 15 emerging West Coast artists under the age of 35.)  Andres has also had museum exhibitions and is becoming a very popular photographer. 

What does she do?
    This artist creates a variety of works that all tell different stories.  She uses photography to examine things like childhood, memories and female introspection.  A lot of her images have a darker tone and sometimes call out real issues, making them seem a little bit disturbing but very intriguing.  One thing I have noticed is that Andres loves to play with extreme lighting,  lot of her images have a large contrast between light and dark values. The artist loves to create stories using photography, some of which even have a specific order and has taken some beautiful images. 

Why she inspires me?
    Holly Andres is an inspiration not only because she has become so popular but because she puts a lot of dedication into her works and pays attention to detail.  If this artist didn't take the time to get the dark shadows and highlights that are seen in a lot of her work, her images would not be as powerful.  The stories she creates also require a lot of work as she has to set up scenes and pull items and people together.  Andres is an inspiration because her photographs are completely intentional and without each step she takes her works would not have the same style and effect she is going for.  I only hope I can be as intentional in my works. 

More images that I like are below, if you wish to see more you can always visit: http://hollyandres.com/


Thomas by Holly Andres
Brides of Xtabay by Holly Andres
Kim and Tyler Malek, originators of Salt & Straw, a farm-to-cone ice cream shop, Portland, Oregon. by Holly Andres

No comments:

Post a Comment