Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Artist Twelve: Eugene de Blaas

Why this Artist?
    I like many classical artists and Eugene de Blaas is no exception.  I found Blaas on my search for artists that have done a lot of works depicting females and soon after I began to enjoy his paintings.  I loved the way he not only painted ladies of high class but he also painted the working ladies as well.

Here are some of my favorite works by this artist:


Portrait of a Young Lady by Blaas
The Flower Girl by Blaas
The Mussel Gatherers by Eugene de Blaas 
Who is this Artist?
    Eugene de Blaas also known as Eugene von Blaas or Eugenio Blaas, was born in Albano near Rome and was an Italian painter in the school known as Academic Classicism.  He lived from 1843-1932.  His paintings were exhibited at the Royal Academy, Fine Art Society, New Gallery, Arthur Tooth and Sons Galleries in London, and at the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool.  He created many oil paintings during his time that were exquisite.

What does he do?
    The artist was known for creating colorful and theatrical images of Venetian society.  His works were very realistic and depicted real scenes and the everyday lives of people in Venice.   One thing I found interesting was how he not only illustrates mostly female characters but females from all walks of life.  He paints the rich and the poor.  De Blaas' works are very intricate, detailed and clean.  He painted with a realistic style that gave them the ability to come to life and the viewer to easily step into the scene.

Why he inspires me?
    This artist inspires me because I love the way that he illustrates women of all walks of life and that all have a unique  personality.  His works are very colorful but still realistic which is something I really enjoy.  I like how the artist took time to put in small details in each of his works in the women's clothing, the background and all the little objects in his works.  He is an amazing oil painter and I envy his skill level.

Here are more works by this artist that caught my eye.  If you would like to see more you can always visit: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/list.php?m=a&s=tu&aid=332


Daydreaming by Blaas
An Affectionate Glance by Blaas 






Musette by Eugene de Blaas

No comments:

Post a Comment