Saturday, May 24, 2014

Artist Nineteen: Mia Araujo

Why this Artist?
    I picked Mia Araujo as one of my fifty artists because of her beautiful paintings.  Pop Surrealism is one of my favorite styles of artwork so Araujo work is something that I am naturally drawn to.  Her work also caught my eye because a lot of her images were of females, which is something I will be focusing on in my Senior Seminar project. 

It was hard, but here are some of my favorites: 

Death of a Forest Mia Araujo
Secrets of the Deep by Mia Araujo
Bluebeard by Mia Araujo
Persephone by Mia Araujo
Who is this Artist?
     Mia Araujo graduated as valedictorian from Otis College of Art and Design with a BFA in Illustration.  The artist is represented by Corey Helford Gallery in Los Angeles and has shown her work across the United States.  She has also been published in quite a few magazines including Juxtapose Magazine, Creative Quarterly and more.  This artist has had exhibits in museums, solo exhibits and been in many group exhibitions.

What does she do?
    Araujo does a lot of acrylic on wood paintings, however she also loves drawing.  In the biography section of her website she states "I have long been fascinated by the multi-faceted complexity that makes each person unique.  I believe that all individuals contain an entire universe within them, which is invisible to the naked eye.  My work concentrates on giving shape to the unseen forces within my subjects - their thoughts, memories, emotions and complex histories.  These qualities fit together to form a vast, rich inner-landscape of identity and mythology for my characters."  The artist definitely succeeds in creating these unique personalities in each of her works.  I especially enjoyed how her color palettes for each vary which also helps distinguish each personality.  Araujo uses a lot of tiny details to create her images and each one is a treasure to look at and can hold the viewer's eye for a very long time. 

Why she inspires me?
    This artist is inspiring to me because something I want to do in my Senior Seminar is figure out a way to surround powerful women with things that represent them in a similar way that Araujo does.  I want the piece to flow as smoothly as each one of Araujo's.  This artist is also an inspiration because she does create these amazing images of women and gives them real personalities versus depicting them as just sexual objects.  I really enjoy the artist's pop surrealist style and the amount of detail she puts into her works. 

Here are some more of my favorites and here is the link to her site: http://art-by-mia.com/

Sleeping Sickness by Mia Araujo
Two Spirits by Mia Araujo
Predators by Mia Araujo

No comments:

Post a Comment