Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Artist Three: Tom Whalen

Why this Artist?
     Simply because Tom Whalen creates these amazing posters based on very popular pop culture references and the style of his posters has always been something I have enjoyed. I am thinking about doing a poster series for my senior seminar project so looking at his work and other poster artists will help me a lot.  

Here are some of my favorite works by this artist: 

Super Powers  by Tom Whalen 
Disney's Lion King by Tom Whalen 
Frozen by Tom Whalen 
Who is this Artist?
    Tom Whalen is an illustrator and graphic designer based in Philadelphia.  He has created a variety of screen-printed posters for many clients ranging from Disney, Peanuts, Warner Brothers, Universal, Hasbro, Lucasfilms, Paramount and many other companies.  Whalen studied illustration and design at Kutztown University in Philadelphia.  This artist has been in a variety of shows, gallery signings and has had tables at many artistic conventions.  Whalen quickly developed his own style for creating posters of all kinds and it is clear he has mastered his art. 

What does he do?
     Whalen creates screen-printed posters in his own unique style.  He also creates comics, illustrations and fan art of all varieties.  All of his posters are very stylized and it is clear which ones belong to him.  

Why he inspires me? 
     I want to go into graphic design and one of the things I would love to do in the future and for my senior seminar project is to do a series of posters that all have a similar style.  Whalen is an example of just this.  He creates these posters that could belong in one giant series.  His use of color and using simple shapes filled with single colors to create the posters is very interesting and something I may want to play with.  
    Overall Whalen's work is incredible and he gets to create illustrations based on some of my most favorite things so of course, I love his work. 

Some of my other favorites are below.  You can see more of Whalen's work at http://strongstuff.net/.

Star Wars by Tom Whalen


Lego by Tom Whalen 
Coraline by Tom Whalen






No comments:

Post a Comment