Monday, July 7, 2014

Artist Fifty: Carol Rossetti

Why this Artist?
    Rossetti may not be one of the more well known artists I have written about (although her "Women" works are actually spreading very quickly across the internet) but I have decided to make her my final artist because she shares a lot of similar ideas with me and has also illustrated posters that address women (like I plan to do).  Rossetti's works have a message and this is something that I admire quite a bit.

Here are just a few of Rossetti's illustrations: 

Babi by Carol Rossetti
Clara by Carol Rossetti
Helena by Carol Rossetti
Who is this Artist?
    Carol Rossetti is a Brazilian graphic designer and illustrator so a lot of her works begin in Portuguese but are than translated into many different languages including English, Hebrew and soon Spanish, Russian, German, Italian, Chinese, Japanese and Lithuanian.  This is important because Rossetti wants to share her messages with people all over the world.  Rossetti's works are becoming increasingly popular online and although she hasn't shown works in any galleries or museums they are still having a very profound effect and inspiring people world wide. 

What does she do?
    Rossetti illustrates empowering images of women and their stories.  Each image is originally in Portuguese and then translated into many other languages, a process that involves Rossetti rewriting each language's new text manually to keep her style.  This artist's works are inspired by a lot of issues including feminism, racism, ableism, LGBT issues and many more.  Rossetti hand draws each of her images and keeps them all on the same color and type of material so it is clear they are all from one body of work.  I think what is most amazing to me though is how her works are being translated into many languages because they can all apply to women all over the world. 

Why she inspires me?
     This artist inspires me because she has a voice and is not afraid to share it and not just in Brazil but all over the world in many different languages.  Rossetti sees flaws in the way society is run all over the world and creates images that address these issues.  She is an inspiration to me because she is trying to make a difference and is using her talents and her artwork to do this.  She is making people aware and inspiring people with her art and I only hope that I can do this someday with my own. 

Some more of Rossetti's works can be seen all over the internet but also on her facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/carolrossettidesign

Aline by Carol Rossetti
Silvia by Carol Rossetti
Jane by Carol Rossetti
Samantha by Carol Rossetti

No comments:

Post a Comment