Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Artist Thirty-Seven: Emma Uber

Why this Artist?
    I picked Emma Uber as one of my artists because she paints a lot of female characters and creates some very beautiful works.  I really like the way she combines realistic looking figures with surrealistic colors and elements to create each piece.  Uber has an interesting style and each of her works is very intriguing. 

Below are some of the works by this artist that I especially enjoy:


Bespoke Magazine by Emma Uber
Hitchhiker by Emma Uber
Wallflower by Emma Uber
Who is this Artist?
    Emma Uber is an artist from Australia with a background in graphic design and photography.  Her work has been in multiple galleries in different parts of the world including the United States.  Some of her work has also been published in magazines.  Uber is becoming more and more famous for her amazing portraits of women and I look forward to seeing more of her work in the future. 

What does she do? 
    This artist creates predominantly oil paintings, however she also works in acrylic and with acrylic paint markers sometimes as well. Most of her works are portraits of women but she also likes to paint body parts as well. In an interview about her work on the "My Modern Met" website, Uber states "There are two kinds of subjects I paint. Some are people I know, and others are amalgamations of different faces and features I've collected over the years. I take photographs of my models as a reference and then get to work in private. Perhaps I paint females because I naturally have a connection with them, like painting a semi self-portrait.." Looking at Uber's works it is clear that Klimt is one of her influences. She likes to use patterns and shapes to make up and surround her figures much like his works. Uber likes to play with lights and shadows to bring her figures to life but also uses areas of flat solid color to offset patterns and render forms. Emma Uber has a very specific style in her works and it is something to truly be admired. 

Why she inspires me?
    Uber's work is inspiring to me not only because she illustrates woman but because she isn't afraid to just create works even if they aren't perfect.  On her websites, Uber talks about a time where she locked herself away in an attic and just started painting she said "I painted canvas after canvas, not showing anyone and just letting the ideas flow.  This was a significant time for me as an artist, isolating myself and letting anything and everything pour out.  I told myself it didn't matter if the paintings were rubbish or strange or disturbing... no one would see them, just me."  I hope someday I can have some sort of artist revelation like Uber, she is an inspiration to me and her works are truly beautiful. 

This artist has a lot more works if you visit: http://www.emmauber.com/ 

Elderflower by Emma Uber
Feathers by Emma Uber
Lisa by Emma Uber

No comments:

Post a Comment