Saturday, July 5, 2014

Artist Forty-One: Kevin Tong

Why this Artist?
    Taking into consideration that I am planning to do posters for my final project, I have been looking at different artists that illustrate posters.  Kevin Tong is one artist that I looked at that really struck with me and I enjoyed his style.  

Many of Tong's images are my favorites so here are a few of them:

The Bride of Frankenstein by Kevin Tong
The Wizard of Oz by Kevin Tong
Iron Man by Kevin Tong
Who is this Artist?
    This freelance illustrator is currently based in the Los Angeles area.  He has had a very long list of famous clients including ABC, Hard Rock Cafe, Playboy Magazine, Nike, Lucasfilm, Disney, Marvel, Universal, AMC and Lost.  Tong also attends different events as a vendor with his artwork all over the world.  

What does he do?
    Tong is best known for his screen printed posters but he also does some illustrations.  Many of his works are based on pop culture characters because of his many clients and commission.  A lot of Tong's works are for bands and television shows and movies.  This artist liked to use a lot of detail and different shapes filled with solid or gradiented colors to create his works.  I think what I like best though, is how he can switch between styles to fit the client he is serving meaning some of her works are more posterized or simplified than others.  He really is an artist that knows how to serve his clients while still sticking to styles that he is good at. 

Why he inspires me?
   This artist really inspires me because he is an awesome poster artist and posters are what I am going to do for my final project.  I can learn a lot by looking at Tong's work like how to create different textures and manipulate colors to create various effects.  I can also look at Tong's work and decide what the best placement for different shapes and characters are and get ideas about composition.  This artist's works are very inspirational to me and will help me a lot while I work on my senior project. 

There is more where the above posters came from on Tong's website: http://tragicsunshine.com/

Jurassic Park by Kevin Tong
The Aquabats by Kevin Tong
UP by Kevin Tong

No comments:

Post a Comment