Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Artist Thirty-Eight: Pablo Picasso

Why this Artist?
    I have always loved Pablo Picasso and the simple shapes he uses to create his works.  I enjoyed the simple colors and how he wasn't afraid to create works that were different.  I loved Picasso so much in fact that in high school I used to create portraits of people I knew using his style and some of them turned out really neat.  Picasso has been one of my inspirations since I was a little kid and I will always doodle in his style. 

Some of Picasso's works that I have always liked the most are:

Jaqueline with Flowers by Pablo Picasso
The Dream by Pablo Picasso
Three Musicians by Pablo Picasso
Who is this Artist?
     Pablo Picasso was born in 1881 and died in 1973.  He was a Spanish painter, ceramicist, printmaker and sculptor.  Picasso is known for co-founding the cubist movement and helped develop and explore many other styles of art like collage and constructed sculpture.  Picasso attended the Royal Academy of San Fernando, which was the foremost art school and as his painting developed he began meeting many other artists that were large during his time and would help him on his journey to becoming a largely famous artist.  Today Picasso's works can be seen all over the world in a large number of museums and he remains one of the most famous artists in history. 

What does he do?
    Picasso worked in many mediums including oil paints, collage, ceramics and a few others.  There are many periods of different styles he was experimenting with that include the Blue Period (Somber paintings in blue and green), Rose Period (Orange and Pink Colors), African-Influenced Period, Cubism and Classicism and Surrealism.  Each of these period styles allowed Picasso to focus on one particular type of art and try and master it to a point where he felt comfortable.  While Picasso's works take many forms one thing remains true throughout all of them, Picasso was an artist that loved raw shapes and colors and experimenting with them in unconventional ways. 

Why he inspires me?
    Picasso inspires me because he was an artist that was not afraid to experiment with different styles of art.  He didn't stick to one medium or pattern and loved to play with pure shapes and forms.  I hope that I will be as open-minded of an artist as Picasso and that I am just as willing to experiment with art and different mediums.  Picasso is an inspiration to me and I will always smile when I see one of his pieces. 

More of Picasso's works are all over the internet but there are definitely some here: http://www.pablopicasso.org

Girl Before a Mirror by Pablo Picasso
The Blue Nude by Pablo Picasso
The Old Guitarist by Pablo Picasso

No comments:

Post a Comment