Sunday, July 6, 2014

Artist Forty-Three: Ken Taylor

Why this Artist?
    Besides the fact that Ken Taylor creates some amazing posters that I am in love with, his poster style is another that I have been looking to use for my Senior Seminar project. Although he works mainly in the music industry designing posters, his style is a large inspiration to me and my own work so I have decided to make him artist forty-three. 

Some of Taylor's works that I like the best are:

The Black Keys by Ken Taylor
Kachou Fuugetsu by Ken Taylor
Haru by Ken Taylor
Who is this Artist?
    This artist is based in Melbourne, Australia and is predominantly known for his rock posters and his work within the music industry.  What started out as doing random posters and album artwork for local bands quickly grew to much more.  Now Taylor not only creates work for major Australian Bands but he has also created work for internationally known bands like Metallica, Peal Jam, Nine Inch Nails, The Rolling Stones, Queens of the Stone Age, Kings of Leon and Bob Dylan.  Taylor has won many award for his work including the Desktop Create Award for Best Illustration two different years and has also exhibited and visited conferences with his work all over the world.  This artist continues to work with bands all over both locally and internationally. 

What does he do?
    Taylor's artworks have a very nice poster style to them and a lot of detail.  He is known for his limited edition silkscreened movie posters, album covers and artwork.  He works with different printing techniques as well as with acrylic paints.  Taylor's art ranges from pieces with bright and a large range of colors to works that have little or no color.  His posters usually have a dark outline around each shape and he uses different thicknesses of lines and shapes to create textures, tones and details in each of his images (Something I will try to do in my posters). 

Why he inspires me?
    The artist inspires me because his works are in one of the styles I have considered to use for my own project.  The small details and different sections of color and lines to create textures and tones is something I can look at and try to imitate.  One thing that is particularly interesting to me about Taylor's work is the way he manages to create shadows and highlights on his posters by simply using different shapes and colors.  Ken Taylor's works are going to help me a lot while trying to form posters of my own so I am very happy I found his website. 

Some of Taylor's movie based posters are really neat and because I am a movie lover I have attached some below.  To see more of his works please feel free to visit: http://kentaylor.com.au/

Alice in Wonderland  by Ken Taylor
Jurassic Park by Ken Taylor
Where the Wild Things Are by Ken Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment