Sunday, July 6, 2014

Artist Forty-Seven: Ïve Bastrash

Why this Artist?
    Although this artist is mostly known in the world of the internet, his style is something that inspires me because he takes well known characters and movie covers and converts them into his own style.  For my senior seminar project I will also be converting well known people into my style (in poster form) so looking at Bastrash's works will help me do this.

Some of my favorite movie posters that Bastrash has illustrated in his own style are:

Raiders of the Lost Ark by Ïve Bastrash
BeetleJuice by Ïve Bastrash
Batman Returns by Ïve Bastrash
Sleepy Hollow by Ïve Bastrash
Who is this Artist?
   Canadian artist Ïve Bastrash is currently living in Toronto and working as the lead 2D artist for a mobile-game company.  Bastrash graduated with full honours from the Université du Québec in Gatineau with a major in comic books.  Afterwards he traveled to Bordeaux, France to study 2D Animation.  He then used his talents to create many illustrations, comics, and even his own playing cards.  This artist is still working on becoming well known but his unique style and especially his movie cover remakes, are helping him become an even more successful artist. 

What does he do?
    This artist illustrates many things ranging from comic book projects, graphic novels, custom playing cards and other illustration assignments.  He creates storyboards, does character design, has been in some art exhibitions, and creates video game art.  Bastrash's illustrations all have a similar style and all his characters a similar look.  His posters are all made using a comic/poster style, which is something I am looking into for my own projects.  The artist likes to recreate well known movie covers as well as create his own unique illustrations and characters.  I personally enjoy his style a lot and look forward to seeing more of his works in the future. 

Why he inspires me?
    Bastrash is inspiring to me and to my work because he is taking well known images and making them his own.  For my senior project I will be taking well known women and illustrating them in my own style and adding my own twist to them so Bastrash and I have a lot in common.  I hope by looking at this artist's works I can get a better idea of what I want to do for my project.  I hope to come up with my own style and learn how to create works using the comic/poster style that Bastrash uses.  This artist is inspirational to me because he has done some of the things I am planning to do and I admire him for it. 

Interested in seeing more of Bastrash's works? All you have to do is click: http://www.inkjava.com/home.php

Mushroom Kingdom by Ïve Bastrash
L'Original by Ïve Bastrash
Zurby by Ïve Bastrash

No comments:

Post a Comment