Saturday, July 5, 2014

Artist Forty: Lauren Mortimer

Why this Artist? 
    Last September I purchased an awesome drink recipe book for my boyfriend called "Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist" and spent at least a good hour flipping through and looking at all the creative illustrations.  Because of my love for her works I have decided to make the illustrator of this book, Lauren Mortimer, artist number forty. 

Mortimer's works are very interesting to look at so I have attached my favorites below: 

Wonder Bunny by Lauren Mortimer
Bear with Me by Lauren Mortimer
Least Wanted by Lauren Mortimer
Buck Rogers by Lauren Mortimer
Who is this Artist? 
     London-Based artist Lauren Mortimer in an illustrator who focuses on images drawn in pencil.  Mortimer has illustrated a number of books including the award winning "Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist" and others.  This artist has also been featured in other publications like the "The Sunday Times Magazine", "Elle Publishers" and BBC.  Mortimer is illustrating more and more books and I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of this artist in the future. 

What does she do?
    Lauren Mortimer works predominantly with graphite to create works that mix surrealism and realism in a realistic style of drawing.  Mortimer has a very clear ability to create realistic tones and textures in her works and has a knack for details.  Using simple lines and shapes she is able to create characters and objects that the viewer almost feels could come off the page.  This artist's works create a feeling of wonder and curiosity. 

Why she inspires me?
    Because drawing is pretty much the core element behind all other artwork, I feel looking at artist that draw, like Mortimer, is important for inspiration.  I am able to look at this artists works and see how to create tones and textures in my own art pieces.  Mortimer is also an inspiration to me because, like her, I enjoy mixing the surreal and the realistic and I hope that I can take her works and use them to help me with mine. 

This artist has a lot of interesting graphite works.  If you would like to see more you can always visit her website: http://www.laurenmortimer.co.uk/home/about/

Tequila Mockingbird - Charlie and the Chocolate Faketini by Lauren Mortimer
Tequila Mockingbird - Blizzard of Oz by Lauren Mortimer
The Owl and the Butterfly by Lauren Mortimer

No comments:

Post a Comment