Monday, July 7, 2014

Artist Forty-Nine: Tatyana Fazlalizadeh

Why this Artist?
    This artist was shared with me by my professor and right away I knew I wanted to make her one of my fifty artists.  Her "Stop Telling Women to Smile" posters designed to address street harassment of women was something that I truly admired as well as her amazing artwork.  This artist is one that uses her artwork to try and make a difference and that is something I hope to do in the future.

Here are three of Fazlalizadeh's posters from her "Stop Telling Women to Smile" campaign:

Women Are People not Just Bodies by Tatyana Fazlalizadeh
Nuala, Philadelphia, 2013 by Tatyana Fazlalizadeh
Deanna, Chicago, 2013 by Tatyana Fazlalizadeh
Who is this Artist?
    Tatyana Fazlalizadeh is a Brooklyn based artist.  She has had a countless number of exhibitions in cities all over the United States as well as held lectures and been in many publications with her works.  She has even been in The New York Times and the Huffington Post.  This artist is growing in popularity and is trying to create a difference through her artworks and I am looking forward to more of her exhibitions. 

What does she do?
    This artist works in a variety of mediums ranging from drawing, painting, photography, video and collage.  Most of her works are portraits of real people and she loves creating works that have a purpose.  Fazlalizadeh has created art inspired by protests, gay rights, women's rights and is truly an activist with her art.  She is an artist trying to make a difference and that is something that is amazing to me. 

Why she inspires me?
    The artist inspires me because she paints and draws very beautiful and touching portraits but because she realizes that she can help make a change in the world and uses her talent to do so.  Fazlalizadeh is not just creating art, she is creating it with a purpose.  She is talking about it, getting it out into the world and sharing it all over so it has a better chance at actually making a change.  I think this artist is so inspiring to me because she has a voice and is not afraid to plaster it all over the country and probably, eventually all over the world. 

This artist has created works other than her famous "Stop Telling Women to Smile" posters so if you would like to see more, you know what to do: http://www.tlynnfaz.com/

Colored Girls by Tatyana Fazlalizadeh
Self-Portrait by Tatyana Fazlalizadeh
Solange by Tatyana Fazlalizadeh

No comments:

Post a Comment