Sunday, July 6, 2014

Artist Forty-Five: Daryl Gortner

Why this Artist? 
    Although I am not planning on doing photorealistic painting for my project, Gortner's works are inspiring to me not only because I admire that she is capable of getting things to a photorealistic point (Because I definitely cannot) but because looking at her works will help me understand a little bit more about how to create lighting in images, draw certain shapes and how to create interesting compositions. 

Here are some of Gortner's works:

For Keeps by Daryl Gortner
Sugar and Spice by Daryl Gortner
Intoxicating by Daryl Gortner
Who is this Artist?
     Daryl Gortner attended Fullerton College and currently teaches art classes for adults and kids at the City of Brea Art Gallery.  She has been in a large number of art exhibitions all over California and in different countries.  Gortner has also been in a number of publications and has earned a countless number of awards all over the place including a finalist in "Artist Magazine and International Artist Magazine".  This artist has been attracting admirers and patrons all over the country with her works and is becoming even more successful as time goes by.

What does she do?
    Gortner creates large proportional sized paintings in a photorealistic style.  Her paintings are made with layers upon layers of paint and glaze to create the intense depth and richness found in each one.  Her works are predominantly made using oil paint on linen or birch panels primed with several coats of gesso.  As for the subjects of her artworks, this artist finds inspiration from things around her.  She has mastered turning the ordinary into the extraordinary and this is clear through the clarity of her works.

Why she inspires me?
    This artist inspires me because through her works I can learn a lot about how to create depth in my works and how to play with light.  A lot of her works also allow me to understand a little more about how to create reflections and interesting compositions using everyday objects.  She is also a prime example of how taking your time on a piece of work can only be a benefit as she can spend up to multiple months completing just one piece.  Someday I want to be willing to spend as much time and effort on each artwork as Gortner does.  She is a very dedicated artist and I admire that a lot.

To see more of Gortner's photorealistic works you can click on: http://www.darylgortner.com/ 

A Cent Well Spent  by Daryl Gortner
Beautiful Bings  by Daryl Gortner
Lean on Me  by Daryl Gortner

No comments:

Post a Comment