Thursday, June 26, 2014

Artist Thirty-Five: Phil Noto

Why this Artist?
    I have enjoyed Phil Noto's works for quite a few years now as he was one of those random artists that I found on Pinterest and quickly became obsessed with.  There was just something about the style of his works that I really liked and I loved a lot of the subjects he illustrated.  I thought all things considered, he would make an excellent artist number thirty-five. 

There are many of Noto's works that I really like, however here are some of my favorites:

Leia Skywalker - Dark Lord of the Sith by Phil Noto 
Wonder Woman by Phil Noto 
Buffy by Phil Noto 
 Who is this Artist?
    Phil Noto studied illustration at Ringling School of Art and Design.  After finishing his degree he worked for Walt Disney Animation on films such as Lion King, Pocahontas, Mulan and Lilo and Stitch.  After ten years of animation however, he decided to become a comic artist.  Noto has illustrated for many comics including Batman, Superman, Danger Girl, Beautiful Killer, Hellboy, Buffy, The Infinite Horizon, Avengers, X-23, Wolverine and Jubilee, X-Force and Thunderbolts.  Noto has also worked on many large scale gallery paintings and has had solo exhibitions in galleries all over the world.  He has also attended a large number of Cons.  

What does he do?
    This artist creates illustrations, in his own style, of famous pop culture characters.  Noto likes to paint most of his works, however he is also an inker, colourist and penciller.  This artist's works are usually created using loose but definite lines and blended colors to create interesting lighting and realistic tones.  Noto's works range from the more realistic to the more cartoonistic, however no matter which work you look at, it is very clear he has his own style.

Why he inspires me?
    Looking at Noto's work will help me with mine because I am trying to create a posterized or comic book style and his style is a lot like that.  Noto is also an inspiration to me because he illustrates a lot of female characters but a lot of the time puts his own spin on them (for example creating a Princess and Sith Lord hybrid).  I also wish to put my own spin on famous females.  Noto is an inspiration to me in both the style of his works and his concepts. 

To see more of Noto's rad works, you know what to do: http://www.notoart.com/ 

Skyward by Phil Noto 
World's Finest TPB Cover by Phil Noto 
Solaris by Phil Noto 

No comments:

Post a Comment