Thursday, June 26, 2014

Artist Thirty-One: Tertia du Toit

Why this Artist?
    I discovered this artist somewhere in internet land and was very drawn to the clean and vibrant colors of her works.  The artist illustrates a lot of female characters and because this is something I am planning on doing for my large Senior Seminar project, her works are a great reference to inspire me later on.

Here are some of her works that I really like: 

Kitty by Tertia du Toit
Stoomafblaas by Tertia du Toit
Windvry by Tertia du Toit
Who is this Artist?
    This artist lives in Paarl, Western Cape, South Africa but her work can be seen in many other places.  Tertia earned her BA in Painting from the University of Pretoria and has returned there and to a few other venues to lecture on Fine Art and Design.  This artist has been in many exhibitions both solo and group all over the world, some of her work can even be found in the United States.  Tertia has done a lot of commercial designs, illustrations and paintings for a countless number of companies and clients ranging from food companies, clothing companies, packaging places and many others.  The artist has also illustrated hundreds of book covers.  Tertia du Toit is a very successful professional artist and does some amazing works. 

What does she do?
    Tertia du Toit works in both paint and digital design to create her illustrations.  She depicts many subjects in her works, however drawing women seems to be her passion.  All of the artist's works have a very particular style, they all use very clean lines and vibrant colors.  Her works are bright and some even have a mystical feel because of the lighting she chooses to portray and even in some of her subjects.  This artist has a unique style and it is very recognizable if you have seen only a few of her pieces before. 

Why she inspires me? 
    The artist inspires me because I really enjoy her style of works and she is interested in portraying women, like me.  I love the way Tertia uses such an extreme color palette and makes the figures in her works look very natural.  She is a great example of an artist that has defined who she is and what style she likes to use and this is something I greatly admire.  I hope someday I can have a style and make just as strong and fun works.  

If you really like Tertia du Toit's work you can always visit: http://www.tertiadutoit.com/


Harts by Tertia du Toit
Potter's Place by Tertia du Toit
Triptic by Tertia du Toit

No comments:

Post a Comment