Thursday, June 26, 2014

Artist Thirty-Two: Mark Dos Santos

Why this Artist?
    Mark Dos Santos is another artist that I met at IndyPop Con, however in this particular case I had seen a few of his works prior to the convention.  This artist may not be the most famous, however his works definitely apply to mine as his style is something I admire and will be looking at for inspiration in my own works. 

Some of his works that I really enjoy:


Legend of Zelda by Mark Dos Santos
Buffy by Mark Dos Santos
Gotham Evening Post by Mark Dos Santos
Who is this Artist?

     Mark Dos Santos resides in southern California and is a freelance artist.  Mark enrolled at the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Arts and his studies in animation and comics paid off as he still continues to grow in popularity and has had many good publishing jobs including doing illustrations for the comic "Deadlands: Hell on Earth".  This artist is currently becoming well known though because of his Gotham Evening Post issues that are based off of Norman Rockwell's Saturday Evening Posts.  Although he hasn't been in many galleries, his works can be found all over the country as he has been to a large number of Cons ranging from Comic-Cons to PopCons and other Cons all over. 

What does he do?
    This artist creates illustrations of famous pop culture references in his own style.  He has drawn many superheroes and other figures from television, video games and movies.  Mark Dos Santos has a bit of a poster style to a lot of his works and uses a lot of solid shapes and colors.  He likes to create works that take style references from other places, like old magazine covers.  

Why he inspires me?
    The artist inspires me because of the style of his works and the subjects he chooses to depict.  His thicker lines and sections of color are something I am looking at for my own work.  He also illustrates pop culture references in his own style and although I have not exactly found mine yet, I hope to do the same.  This artist makes many works of his favorite characters and I wholeheartedly enjoy each one of them. 

To see some more of his artworks you can go to one of his websites: http://markdossantos.com/index.html
Codex by Mark Dos Santos
Storm by Mark Dos Santos
Sweeney Todd by Mark Dos Santos

No comments:

Post a Comment