Friday, June 20, 2014

Artist Twenty-Nine: Andreas Franke

Why this Artist?
    I have always been intrigued by Andreas Franke's works, especially after I discovered that a lot of them can be seen hundreds of feet under water and can only be viewed if one uses scuba gear.  The dream-like feeling I received while flipping through his images had me hooked almost immediately so it is probably good I have finally added him to my list of artists. 

Here are some of my favorite photographs by Franke:


Little Red Riding Hood by Andreas Franke
Sarah by Andreas Franke
Mohawk #10 by Andreas Franke
Who is this Artist?
    Andreas Franke is a famous photographer that was named one of the 200 Best Photographers for Luerzer's Archive.  He has traveled all over the world and has worked for many brands some including Coca-Cola, Ben & Jerry's, Ford, Nike, Visa, Wrigley's, General Electric, Gillette, Heineken and many more.  The artist's works can be found in a number of magazines and other publications as well as in underwater exhibits, galleries and museums all over the world.  Franke creates unique photographs that are impossible to forget.

What does he do?
    Franke has been working on a project he has titled "The Sinking World' for many years.  This projects involves multiple exhibitions across the world.  One thing that is really interesting about Franke is that he displays his works above ground and underwater.  His underwater exhibits are especially cool because as the images sit (In protective cases), small sea creatures and sea scum begin to grow all over them, creating an awesome looking effect and giving the works an even eerier and interesting composition (I have attached one example, Adam's Break below).  In his works, Franke tries to bring a strange and forgotten underwater world back to life by taking photos of shipwrecks and adding authentic sceneries and scenarios from different periods in history.  Each of his exhibitions is taken at a different ship wreck and has a different time period or theme associated with them.  What amazes me though is how the photographs are then displayed on the corresponding underwater skeletons of the ship to create some very unique beauties.  Franke tries to create unreal and strange worlds through his images and I believe he is very successful in doing so.

Adam's Break by Andreas Franke (After being underwater for quite awhile) 
Some Scuba Divers Swimming Through One of Andreas Franke's Galleries
Why he inspires me?
    This artist inspires me in multiple ways, however, the first one is how he lets nature take it's course on his artworks.  Franke believes the specimens that naturally grow on his underwater works give them a unique look and that they are even more beautiful after being exposed to nature.  This is something that I think would be a really cool concept in the future, creating art and letting nature add to it.  Another thing that inspires me about Franke is how much he think outside the box.  Even though a select few people are able to scuba dive down and see his underwater galleries, he still continues to make them.  Is it possible to make something beautiful or to title something as "Art" if few or no one else can see it?  I don't know, however I do know that Franke is a genius and I would love to swim through one of his exhibitions someday.

Here are more works by this artist that I love, to see more feel free to click the link: http://www.thesinkingworld.com/

Picnic for Three by Andreas Franke
Snow White by Andreas Franke
Mohawk #8 by Andreas Franke

No comments:

Post a Comment