Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Artist Twenty-Six: Jennifer Maestre

Why this Artist?
    I found this artist on accident while fumbling around on the internet.  I thought one of her sculptures looked interesting and didn't even realize until after clicking onto it that it was created entirely out of colored pencil.  I was hooked after that, explored her site and decided I would make her one of my fifty artists.  

There are a few of her works that I was really drawn to:

Ibentina by Jennifer Maestre
Echinimunculus by Jennifer Maestre
Cycad by Jennifer Maestre
Who is this Artist? 
    Jennifer Maestre was born in Johannesburg, South Africa but received her B.F.A at the Massachusetts College of Art in Glass with Distinction and a B.A in Fine Arts and Economics from Wellesley College.  She has received many awards in her lifetime including many grants and other artistic awards from different places in the country.  Maestre has showed her work all over the United States in different exhibitions.  She has done countless solo shows and her work can be found in 4 different Museums.  Maestre's works are amazing and intricate so it is no wonder people around the world want to see them.  

What does she do?
    This artist is known for her sculptures created out of colored pencils, however she has also sculpted using a few other mediums including nails and beads.  A lot of Maestre's sculptures look like they are inspired by sea urchins or other creatures found in both myth and nature.  One thing that this artist does that I personally enjoy is that she uses both the sharp and pointed sides of the colored pencils, this gives the works a contrast of textures and makes them aesthetically appealing.  This artist's sculptures reflect organic shapes and animals but they are crafted using manmade objects.  On the artist's website, Maestre talks more about how she creates her pencil sculptures - She cuts hundreds of pencils into 1 inch sections and drills holes into each turning them into beads.  She then sharpens them and sews them all together.  Jennifer Maestre creates sculptures that have texture, she turns the manmade into the organic and all these things combines make for some amazing sculptures that I would have difficulty not touching if I were to see one in person. 

Why she inspires me?
    Jennifer Maestre inspires me because of the fact that she uses such an interesting medium to create her works.  When we think of colored pencils used in art, our minds automatically assume that they are being used to color with, however Maestre has broken that tradition and used them as the art piece itself.  I find this concept very intriguing.  I like the idea of breaking tradition in art and seeing everyday objects and utensils used to create something else.  I only hope that I can think outside the colored pencil box like Maestre and let it show in my works. 

More of this innovative artist's works can be seen here: http://www.jennifermaestre.com/index.htm

Basilisk by Jennifer Maestre
Pelt by Jennifer Maestre
Blue Spine by Jennifer Maestre

No comments:

Post a Comment