Thursday, June 26, 2014

Artist Thirty-Four: Sarah Hickey

Why this Artist?
    Sarah Hickey has earned her spot on my list of fifty artists for having an amazing illustration style and because like me, she is inspired by images of women from a variety of contexts, histories and worlds.  Hickey has an amazing way of layering imagery to create each of her works and she really blows me away. 

It was very hard but I have narrowed down some of my favorites to share: 

Charlotte Pondered the Family Tree by Sarah Hickey
Queen Amazon and Her Avian Entourage by Sarah Hickey
Spirit Selves by Sarah Hickey
Who is this Artist?
    Sarah Hickey received two bachelor degrees in fine arts and education from Griffith University.  Only five years later she had nine solo shows and over twenty group shows.  Hickey has been a Finalist in many art award competitions and was featured in Curvy Magazine.  Hickey is becoming more well known across the country which is well deserved as her works are very intriguing. 

What does she do? 
    This artist creates works that use a complex layering of imagery and patterns to depict spiritual iconography and the feminine.  Most of Hickey's works are inspired by female idols in history, pop culture, religions and other worlds.  All of Hickey's works are very colorful and vibrant and overall very beautiful. 

Why she inspires me?
    This artist inspires me not only because she has the same influences that I do (females from history, religion, pop culture, ect) but she also loves to depict these women in a beautiful but unique way.  I love that Hickey has her own style and has gotten better and better and stacking images together to create one cohesive piece.  Hickey is quickly becoming one of my favorite artists and I love her style.  I think someday I may even try to create a work inspired by her. 

To see some more of this amazing artist's works you can go to: http://sarahhickey.com.au/

Paola was Hailed for her Tauren Sensibilities by Sarah Hickey
Pregnant by Sarah Hickey
Soreya Dreamed of Tropical Booms and Island Heat by Sarah Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment