Thursday, August 21, 2014

Museum Visit Three: National Gallery of Art

National Gallery of Art
    This summer I visited the National Gallery of Art for the millionth time.  As always I enjoyed running around the museum seeing, in person, many of the pieces and artists I have studied in class.  When you stare at a picture of a work of art over and over, trying to memorize every small detail about it, there is something unexplainable about the moment you finally get to see it in person.  You remember everything you know about the work while simultaneously decided whether or not you actually like it.  
    I saw a lot of interesting and historically popular works at the museum so I have only picked a few of my favorites to share on the blog but I do encourage you to visit someday.  With art from all over the world and in every medium and style  you can think of, the National Gallery will definitely have something to meet your fancy. 
    One of the first works that caught my eye at the museum was Amor by Robert Indiana.  This work was a very exciting find because I had just seen the famous "Love" sculpture by the same artists at the Indianapolis Museum of Art a month or so prior.  It amazes me how successful artists can become and how far their works can travel.  
    During my visit to the gallery I was highly impressed and excited about their exhibition feature works by Edgar Degas and Mary Cassatt.  Considering Mary Cassatt was one of my fifty artists and such an inspiration to me of a successful and talented female artists, this was very exciting to me.  My favorite work from this exhibition was At the Theater by Mary Cassatt.
    There were many works by many artists I enjoyed at the museum ranging from Self-Portrait by Van Gogh to Ginevra de' Benci by Leonardo da Vinci and I know I will be returning as soon as possible. 

Amor by Robert Indiana
At the Theater by Mary Cassatt
Self-Portrait by Van Gogh
Ginevra de'Benci by Leonardo da Vinci
A Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard
Symphony in White, No. 1 - The White Girl by James McNeill Whistler

No comments:

Post a Comment