Thursday, August 21, 2014

Museum Visit Four: Chrysler Museum of Art

Chrysler Museum Entrance by Jordan Hubbert
    The best part about having another art major as one of your best friends is that they will not only allow you to drag them to the museum, they will enjoy it and help you remember random art history facts as you explore.  A couple weeks ago I had the privilege of accompanying Chloé Kent to the Chrysler Museum and as we explored there were quite a few works that caught my eye.  They caught my eye so much I have decided to share them with you.
    The first and by far my favorite work in the museum (that became my favorite for a kind of cheap shot reason) is Bust of America by Hiram Powers.  Why is this my favorite?  Because the second I saw it I automatically thought it looked like it could be a bust of Wonder Woman and thought it was beautiful.  I also loved Hiram Power's other busts, especially the one titled Hope.  
    The second artwork that caught my attention at the Chrysler Museum was Soundsuit by Nick Cave.  This sculpture not only drew my eyes because of the amazing composition and layering of countless objects but because there was another suit by Cave in the Indianapolis Museum of Art that I had fallen in love with months before.  Cave's works are truly inspiring with the amount of work they must require and I am glad I got to see not one but two of his works over the summer. 
    Other artworks that I lingered on, although there are way too many to list, were In the Hills by Leon Kroll which stole my attention because it reminded me of my little sister and I, CB w/ L, T and Pickles by John Miller, a huge glass cheeseburger with glass fries and a coke that I thought was one of the coolest things I had seen in the glass sculpture world, Reclining Drapery Impression by Karen LaMonte and The Family by Mary Cassatt. 
    There was a lot to see at the Chrysler Museum and I had a lot of fun playing trivia with Chloé and pretending to know about every piece of art there.  There was a lot of inspiration in some of the works that I saw and I hope to go back again someday. 

Bust of America by Hiram Powers
Hope by Hiram Powers
Soundsuit by Nick Cave
In the Hills by Leon Kroll
CB w/ L, T and Pickles by John Miller
Reclining Drapery Impression by Karen LaMonte
The Family by Mary Cassatt

No comments:

Post a Comment